From December 2008 until December 2009, I am in Namibia as a volunteer. Donations of books, sports equipment, clothing, movies, and virtually anything at all for the school and its students are currently being enthusiastically accepted at the following address: Carmen Lagala, Mureti High School Box 5, Opuwo, Namibia.
The contents of this site express my own views and do not reflect the position of the Namibian government, U.S. government, or WorldTeach.
Thank you for reading! :-)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

More of my Favorite Things

The sound of the learners singing: The Namibian National Anthem and the school song are sung every Friday during morning assembly, along with some other Otjiherero music. It’s as if everyone here was born knowing how to harmonize and compliment each other’s voices. Jocie’s Banana Bread recipe: Every time we’re lucky enough to have bananas in the grocery store, Will or I grab them and make this amazing treat. We must share though, because good Namibians always share! Shiwee and Dune: Even though this nearly-4-year-old and probably-2-year old duo are out to destroy all of my belongings and color on my floor, they’re super cute and super smart. Shiwee can often be found plodding around the house with those little braided pigails in her hair, muttering in a combination of Otjiherero and English. My principal: I was a bit wary at first, but my principal really is a good egg. He has the learners’ best interests at heart, has a good sense of humor, and has a really cute relationship with his young son. He also never gives me a hard time, even when I do something wrong. Seeing Himba people everywhere: The women are covered in ochre and animal fat which give their skin a red hue, their hair is braided and coated in a thick red mud, and they are topless and adorned in jewelry. They often have babies strapped to their backs. Bonus points if they bump into you when you’re wearing white. The men have walking sticks, patterned loin cloths, and funky hair styles. (Google image the Himba to see what I’m talking about). The rain of compliments: There are many kind words my learners have for me and for each other, especially the girls. And they really, truly mean what they say, you can tell. I’ve already been told that my mom is “very young!” my sister “very beautiful!” and my dad was apparently cast as the handsome protagonist from the Mexican-dubbed-over-in-English soap “Catalina and Sebastian.” All of my marriages: Whenever I’m asked the ridiculous question “Miss, do you know Chris Brown?” or any of the other myriad of popular famous people (Obama, Will Smith, David Beckham, take your pick), I reply, “of course, he’s my husband!” It takes them a second to get it, and then they go, “Sheeeeeeeee…” or “ah-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta!” (The coolest noises ever, they both mean something like “unbelievable,” or “wow,” depending on the context, and in this case they didn’t believe me and it was more like, “you kidder, you!”) Then I pretend my phone just rang and that I’m talking to one of them. Today I asked Obama if he was enjoying being president, and then told him to say hi to Michelle and the kids for me. Yep, just a typical day for an American like me…

No comments: